Tuesday, October 13, 2009

My messy purse contributed to my debt....

So, when I was in debt I had the messiest purse. It looked like a bomb exploded in there. No JOKE!

I couldn't find anything and I had way too much stuffed in my little purse. I am a firm believer that a messy purse says a lot about how you handle your life and finances. I am smart but boy was I scattered. I didn't have a process and it cost me a lot of money. How did I finally get this under control?

1. I made a list of everything that was in my purse.
2. I made a list of everything that I actually needed: wallet, cell phone, Metro card, etc.
3. I started to realize that I didn't have a process for receipts, papers, make-up, etc.
4. I visualized the type of purse that I wanted to have.

Honestly, my purse is much better but it isn't perfect. I still have a hard time putting things back in the correct place. I just feel rushed at the grocery store for instance. I never want to make anyone wait behind me for too long so I just throw my money in my bag and leave. But then it takes me more time to find the money that I threw into my purse.

Does anyone else do this? I am curious because I think having an orderly purse or wallet is a key to the getting out of debt puzzle.

Best wishes,

Janie

4 comments:

  1. Well let's hope so because that would explain all my debt. :) But honestly, I do agree. My purse is a wreck, I think I'll try your list. Also I need to post my answers to the last two weeks exercises. So behind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate carrying a purse...but when I do, I carry my wallet (which I dedicate a slot for receipts), my cell phone, my car key, a book and my iPod. I generally tend to carry hardside/structured totes so if I do dump my change, I can hear it and see it rattling around. The totes also come in handy because I hate plastic shopping bags.

    I think you're right about a disordered purse because at the moment I am carrying an unstructured bag - completely shapeless with dark lining and I've been spending all willy nilly. So tonight after the gym, I'm switching back to my Harrod's tote!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jonnie,

    Thanks for your comment. This post was a big hit with everyone. I got a lot of feedback on this one. No worries about being behind on the challenge you are doing so well.

    Best wishes,

    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi TexNYQueen,

    Wow! This sounds like such a good idea. I am going to go buy a different purse this week. Thanks so much for the information. I really appreciate your feedback.

    Wonderful! Thanks for your participation it is always welcome and helpful.

    Best wishes,

    Janie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...