Thursday, September 17, 2009

What money has taught me about personal power?

In the September 2009 edition of Oprah magazine there is an article by Suze Orman: "What Money Has Taught Me About Personal Power."

I thought this was a great article and it stuck with me for days.  Do you ever read those blog posts, book, articles, etc. that just stick with you?  You can't seem to stop thinking about them.

Well, this article did it to me!

Here goes:

1.  Power comes from who you are, not what you have.  Some where along the way society has programmed all of us to think that external achievement is what gives us power.  But that is only perceived power and it can be gone in a second.  Remember there is a big difference between external and internal power.  If you build up that internal power then you can get through anything and no one can take it away from you. 

2.  Money has no power of its own.  You are the one with the power not the money.  You are the one who decides what to spend money on, when to save money, how to borrow money, etc.  It is all up to you. 

3.  Self-worth builds net worth.  Here is an interesting concept to ponder- we tend to spend more than when we feel less than.  When you are feeling low you usually spend more because you think it going to make you feel better.  It usually makes you feel worse. 

4.  Do what's right, not what's easy.  Suze Orman has a set of gatekeeper questions she asks herself-
  • Is it kind- to me?
  • Is it necessary- for me?
  • Is it true- for me?
5.  Ignorance is not bliss where money is concerned.  At the end of the day you need to be informed about financial matters in order to make good decisions for yourself. 

6.  How you respect your possessions says a lot about how you respect yourself.  Do you spend endless amounts of money replacing possessions because you can't find something due to lack of organization?

What do you think about these? 

Best wishes,

Janie

2 comments:

  1. I especially like the first point about internal and external power!!! Also the one about you having power NOT the money! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jonnie,

    Thank you so much for leaving a comment today! I think the first point is great as well. For me I started to take better care of my possessions. I noticed that I really wasn't taking that great of my stuff or myself.

    Have a great weekend Jonnie!

    Best wishes,

    Janie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...