Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Why do we need all this stuff?

One night, while in debt I began brainstorming about items I could sell in my apartment. This got me thinking about the money that I had spent on different things. Needless to say, I felt pretty foolish for buying most of my stuff.
So, I found this picture to illustrate my point and feelings about stuff in our lives.

I think the picture speaks for itself but…

I mean really! We come into this world with nothing and we leave with nothing. Why do we work our tails off to accumulate stuff? I realize that we all need a place to live and we need food to survive. But do we really need a bunch of stuff in our garages.

How much money do you think was spent in this garage? Now, it is just taking up space and a lot of it isn’t getting used because it is hard to find. I think it is important to take inventory of your personal things.
One last point, I was watching a weight loss program a few years back and the trainer took inventory of what a woman was eating in a month. I am sorry I don’t remember the name of the show. But if I can find it on YouTube I will post it here.
But basically this inventory of food made everyone watching the show feel sick because this woman was consuming over 50 donuts and gallons of cream each month in her coffee. To this woman’s credit, she didn’t realize the volume of what she was consuming until she saw all of that food lined up on a picnic table.
Therefore, my main points for today are-
  • Take inventory of all of your stuff. Can you sell or give any of it away? Do you need all of it?
  • How much of your life energy and work is going towards accumulating stuff? Do you really want to spend your life working to accumulate stuff? Or would you rather have financial freedom?
Best wishes,

Janie

2 comments:

  1. LOL!! is that supposed to be a GARAGE? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know crazy right?! I have never had a garage so I don't know what mine would look like.

    Thanks for commenting.

    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...