Monday, August 3, 2009

Was I exhausted by my debt?

Was I overwhelmed and exhausted when I would think about my finances? In the past, I felt overwhelmed and exhausted by my debt for about 5 years, the entire time I was digging myself out. It was a constant and never ending anxiety that I walked around with every single day.

Constantly, wondering if anyone could tell or knew what was going on. The emotional toll that debt took on me and my body was serious. I had migraine headaches, back aches, stomach aches, chills, and anxiety. I was scared! I was fearful of the debt and I didn't always believe that I could get out of it. I found myself fighting off the negative thoughts about myself on a daily basis. This was so exhausting!


Finally, I had to learn some meditation practices to calm myself down. Now, I work on my breathing and meditation almost daily. Here is a breathing technique, from Dr. Weil, to try to calm yourself down (I used Dr. Weil's site as a resource for the following technique):




1. Close your eyes




2. Imagine you are lying on a beautiful beach (or other calming place of your choice).



3. Focus on your breath. Each time your mind wonders to a thought just gently remind yourself to focus on your breath.



4. Begin this breathing exercise by, exhaling completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.



5. Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.



6. Hold your breath for a count of seven.



7. Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.



8. This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.



As I am writing this post, I am feeling calm already. I wish you peace while you are trying out this new breathing exercise. Peace throughout your entire body!

Good luck and try not to get discouraged if this takes sometime. First, learning to breathe and calming my mind was difficult for me, at one time. I didn't know or think it was possible to stop my racing thoughts. Second, just remember to be kind with yourself and you will get it.

Did my finances interfere with my personal relationships? It did because I wasn't being truthful of my situation. But I feel like money is one of those topics that people hide and don't want to talk about.


Would you agree that people don't generally discuss financial matters? Leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.



Action Item:


1. Do you know if your friends are in debt?


Best wishes,


Janie

2 comments:

  1. Money isn't discussed in our house or among our family members!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Working simply to pay off your debt is exhausting and can lead to burnout.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...