Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Did I always want to buy new stuff?

Did I always want to buy new stuff (for the house, car, kids, etc.)? Yes, I always wanted to buy brand new and I wanted to replace things often and quickly. I was never satisfied and nothing was ever good enough. I would yearn for change in my life.



I was allowing my material possessions to take over my life and I was acting powerless to consumerism. My material goods defined who I was.

Due to a number of factors like the recession and climate concerns I have changed my thinking drastically about making new purchases. First, I always try to reuse or buy used. It saves you money and it is better for the environment. Second, it saves a lot of money if you reuse and buy used.

There are a number of places where you can go to find used goods on the Internet. Some places include:

Ebay

Craig's List

Unique

Mustard Seed- In Bethesda, Maryland

If you haven't had the pleasure of going to a Unique Thrift store before I would highly recommend going. You can find name brand items for dirt cheap. Mind you, it is a thrift store and you have to be willing to dig to find things.

If there is one in your area and you want to check it out I would go for it. However, if you have tons and tons of debt I wouldn't go to these stores because you will just end up spending money. This money could be used to pay part of your credit card debt.

Action Item:

1. How do you delay gratification?

Best wishes,
Janie

5 comments:

  1. CIAO!!
    Un caro saluto dall'ITALA
    e buon ferragosto
    LIna

    ReplyDelete
  2. CIAO!!
    Un caro saluto dall'ITALA
    e buon ferragosto
    LIna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome Lina! It is nice to know that I have some followers from other countries too! This is wonderful news. I love Italy! I would love to visit sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't delay! that's my problem! love your blog, nice colors!

    HS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Janie....just wanted to pop over and say hi...you stopped by my blog..just wondered how you found me...and yes we're having a great summer! hate to see it coming to an end! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...