Saturday, July 25, 2009

What do I do with loose change?

What do I do with loose change? First, I want to let you know that I get satisfaction from accumulating my pocket change. This may sound crazy but I have a system for my coins. In my car, I have two different Vera Bradley change purses like the one pictured below.

One is for silver change (nickels, dimes, quarters) which I keep and use for tolls, meter parking, vending machines, etc. and the other is for pennies. Whenever, my pennies are over flowing I go to the bank.

Yesterday, I had a full change purse of pennies that ended up totaling $1.78. So, I deposited this amount in my checking account. You may be asking yourself, "why on earth would you deposit $1.78 of pennies into your account?" My rationale for this, is money is put to better use sitting in my interest bearing checking account than sitting in my change purse.

This is something for you to think about the next time you have a bowl or jar full of coins. You can ask yourself, "does this change have a better use than sitting in this jar?" For instance, maybe you could use this change towards a credit card balance or inexpensive treat for yourself. Every little bit counts when you are trying to get rid of your debt. I know this from experience!

If you haven't already, check out the cute blog post from the other day about counting pennies-
http://janieoutofdebt.blogspot.com/2009/07/cute-story-about-counting-pennies.html


How did I pay off my debt? I worked full time at my corporate job during the day and at night worked a retail job. It was an exhausting schedule but it helped pay my bills. I am so thankful now for all of those years of working 2 jobs.

While reading the August 2009 edition of Marie Claire, I stumbled upon this article: "Moonlighting Makes a Comeback." It states that nearly 2 million American women hold down two jobs to make ends meet. But some moonlighters are making the best out of their situation by working a second job that they are passionate about. For instance, there is:


Susi Wegener
31, Portland, Or
Day Job: Yoga Instructor
Moonlighting gig: Horse Caretaker
Extra Cash per month: $500 to $600


Do you have a passion that you would like to try out? Maybe this could be your opportunity to follow a passion and try something new, all while earning extra money.

Action Items:


1. Is your financial life simple or complicated?
2. Do you know where all of your important financial papers or online statements are located?

Best wishes,


Janie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...