Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Was my financial life simple or complicated?


I am participating in Works For Me Wednesday over at We Are That Family with my Keeping It Simple Method for organizing my financial life. I hope you enjoy!


Was my financial life simple or complicated? At one point in time, I think I had the most complicated financial life ever!

First, let me paint a mental picture for you, I had a pile of financial papers and bills stacked 3 feet tall on my bedroom floor. Back then, my system of organization was to open my mail and place the bills on top of the pile. So, my bills went from January to December spanning multiple years on my floor. While cleaning up this financial mountain of papers, I found papers and bills from 1998, 1997 mixed in with 2007. It was complete total madness.

Also, it wasn't a good idea to have my bills by my bed because I would think about them before going to sleep. probably on my mind while sleeping, and then I would see the pile when I woke up. If you are like me, I would suggest moving your financial papers or bills to a more ideal place (outside of the bedroom).

If everything is electronic or you have a mix I will discuss this in a later post. My financial life now is all online. No more mountain of paper by the bed!


Did I know where all of my important financial papers and/or online statements were located? No, I didn't have all of my credit card information in one place. I didn't know where credit cards were located nor did I have my passwords memorized. Therefore, in an emergency (a.k.a wallet getting stolen) I wouldn't have known what credit cards to notify in this event.

Finally, I didn't have a system or process for anything. I was smart but scattered in my life. Interestingly enough, this didn't just extend to my financial life it also touched all other areas of my life like- fitness, family, friends, work, meal planning, etc.


Now, I live by the KISS method- Keep, It, Simple, Stupid. However, I don't like referring to myself as stupid so I replace the word "stupid" with "silly." My new improved version of that method is:

Keep, It, Simple, Silly

I know this can all seem like a daunting task but it is well worth the effort. Plus, you will save yourself money and time by getting organized and keeping everything simple! If you need some organization help right now, I would take a look at Online Organizing or Cocozza Organizing and Design.



Janie Out of Debt Related Articles-

Action Items:



1. Are you overwhelmed and exhausted when you think about your finances?


2. Do your finances interfere with personal relationships?


Best wishes,


Janie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...