Monday, June 15, 2009

When did I realize I was in debt?

When did I realize I was in debt? It actually happened during the housing boom when it seemed like everyone was buying a home instead of renting. I started to get curious about the prices of condos in my area and whether I could afford something. Well, you can just guess at the shock that I was in when I realized A. How expensive housing is in Northern Virginia?! B. That I was really in debt. At the time I had $13,967.00 left to pay on my car and $23,259 in credit card debt. I had no savings and was paying $1000 a month to rent a condo in DC right by the Metro. That rent was just my half because I also had a roommate who was paying $1200 in rent (this was back in 2003-2004). At that time, I made the decision that I was not going to buy a home and that I wanted to be debt free by my 30th birthday.

How did the debt make me feel? The debt made me feel trapped. It made me feel scared and it was a surreal experience because I would look at those numbers in disbelief. I would say things like "How would I ever get myself out of this?" "I don't want my parents to find out or any of my friends." I felt guilty and ashamed. I started to search the Internet for help, support, resources, and anything else that would help get me out of this mess. I started to pray. I would go to this beautiful white church and sit and pray for love, support, guidance, and help in any form.

Since I believe in the power of prayer and I have a strong faith I have decided to start another blog devoted to praying for anyone who is struggling with credit card debt. I have had a few friends confide in me about their debt situation. I know first hand the difficult journey they are going to have to take to get themselves out of debt. All I can do is pray for them and I would like to extend my prayers to anyone else struggling with debt. Please e-mail me if you or anyone you know is struggling with credit card debt and is in need of prayer at janieoutofdebt@gmail.com. I will only post your first name and last initial like Kirsten G. on this new prayer blog. By just having your first name and last initial I can ensure that your identity remains unknown to the public. I also want to know when you are debt free because this is truly a time to celebrate and be very proud of yourself for your accomplishment.

Action Items:

1. Do you believe you can get out of debt?

2. Do you have a goal of when you would like to be debt free?

Best wishes,

Janie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...