Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Did I believe that I could get out of debt?

Did I believe that I could get out of debt? Initially, I didn’t believe that I could EVER get out of debt because of the amount I owed on my various credit cards. I got into the game of moving my debt around to the lowest interest rate card and opening new credit cards to get more available credit. This was an unhelpful little game I was playing with myself because I would just think that I had more money to spend. In my mind, I had convinced myself that this wasn’t a serious problem and some future pay check or raise would make this whole situation disappear. However, my beliefs about my debt situation were actually hurting me even more. It is very important to determine what your beliefs are surrounding money. This point is so important that I am going to highlight it and repeat it again. It is very important to determine what your beliefs are surrounding money. Once I stopped believing that a credit card was free money and that I could truly get out of debt was the moment that changed my life forever. I knew that I was going to get myself out of debt.


Did I have a goal of when I wanted to be debt free? Yes, my goal was to be debt free by my 30th birthday and before my wedding day. I didn’t want to enter into my marriage with any debt. My boyfriend at the time (now my husband) was a saver and had never carried a balance on any of his credit cards. Can you believe it a spender marries a saver? I could write another entire blog about a spender marrying a saver. Ha! But anyway I knew a major cause of stress in marriage was due to money issues. I didn’t want to hide any debt from my future husband. Looking back that was a wise decision and one of the best goals that I had ever made for myself. It was truly a gift to me and to my new marriage.


In my next post, I will talk about the number of credit cards that I had with balances and a technique that I used to keep myself organized. Today, I encourage you to believe that you can be debt free. If I can get myself out of debt I know you can. I will be your cheerleader in this journey.

Action Items:


1. How many credit cards do you have?


2. What is the balance on each credit card?


Best wishes,

Janie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...